When your little ones are tired or fussy, there is nothing a mom looks forward to more than baby nap times. No matter how much we love our sweet babies, there is always a tiny sigh of relief when those little ones go down for a nap. So now that your baby is napping, what should you do?
Here are 9 things you can do to make the most of baby nap time:
- Take a nap yourself: This is first since I think it is the most important. If you are exhausted, and especially if you have a newborn, you should try to get some rest. The dishes and laundry can wait, but if you are sleep deprived, no one will be happy. Even if you think you won’t be able to fall asleep, lie down and try to rest. You never know, you may get in a quick cat nap!
- Clean the house: You knew this was coming. It is much easier and faster to tidy up the house during baby nap times. Just be sure you do the quiet chores, or else you will have a grumpy baby on your hands!
- Enjoy some “me” time: Read a book, watch your favorite TV show or scroll through Facebook. Give yourself some time to do whatever you want… and enjoy yourself! Sometimes it is good to let the chores wait a little bit to give yourself a break. Getting some time to ourselves is rare as a parent, so go for it!
- Give your other family members attention: Do a one-on-one craft project with an older sibling. It is nice to spend some time with your other children without any distractions from the baby. When my youngest was napping, it was my favorite time to catch up with my son. Also, don’t forget your pets! Give your dogs and cats some extra snuggle time, they probably feel left out these days!
- Work: Now is a great time to get some work done that would otherwise be impossible when the baby is awake. If you have calls to make or computer work to do, take advantage of this quiet time to get it done. It is also a good time to do bills and go through mail.
- Plan for the week: If you plan your meals, get that done. Write out your shopping list for the week and get your coupons together, if you use them. Organize family events for the week. Write down any school projects that are due or set reminders in your phone.
- Reconnect with your husband: Sit down for a cup of coffee together and actually talk about what is going on in your lives. Hold hands, snuggle, even sneak in a quickie if you feel so inclined! A new baby can bring lots of changes, use nap time to connect with the person that made it all possible!
- Call a friend: Give a friend a call to catch up. You have likely been less available since having kids, so remember to keep in touch with your friends!
- Exercise: If you have a workout machine in your home, get a quick workout in! If not, there are some awesome fitness channels on YouTube. You can watch almost any type of workout through your phone or streaming on your TV. There is yoga, 30 minute workouts and so much more! A quick workout will give you a boost of energy and help you get through the rest of your day!
Who knew nap time could be so productive? Now the next time your little one is resting, you will know what to do!